Friday, January 11, 2008

Talking Points

I returned from my mission in Romania less than 6 months ago.  I spent 2 years trying to figure out what my 'message' was.  That is, what I basically wanted everyone to know, as a minimum, about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Elder Ballard has asked (nudge nudge) us to create a list of 'talking points'.  These are basic statements that we can have at our disposal so we can speak intelligently and in a prepared manner about our beliefs.  

Side note - I wonder how many people have really done this.  I feel like it's just up my alley, but I've just started.  Isn't it interesting how the prophet urged everyone to do Family Home Evening, but it wasn't until a later prophet mandated it on a specific night of the week that it fell into common practice.  The church is under scriptural condemnation for not taking the Book of Mormon and its principles seriously enough.  I constantly worry and wonder about this.  I think I'm slowly stepping in the right direction here.

These 'talking points' are supposed to be about a variety of topics: doctrinal, historical, general values, facts (numbers, stats, good deeds).  

I will start with what's most easy (for me).  Doctrinal:

Points:

1) My church teaches that all human being have a definite spiritual nature, and that there is a God who is supreme.  He isn't just a ruler, He is our literal spiritual father, and we all have a seed of divinity in us.

2) My church teaches that the purpose of life is ultimately to be happy.  Specifically, our lives are only one step - an essential step - in an unending spiritual journey.  The point of this journey is for us to learn and grow spiritually.

3) My church teaches that our happiness - presently, and eternally - will be affected by the extent to which we strive to follow God's teachings concerning our life on earth.  We believe that God has literally spoken to man throughout human history through men called prophets.

4) My church teaches that these prophets have all taught that God sent His son, Jesus Christ, to earth to be a sacrifice for our sins.  This means that the burden of our failures and disappointments are swallowed up by the miraculous power of Jesus, and that as we believe in Him and obey His teachings, we can be healed of all ills in our life.

5) My church teaches that God has called and spoken to a prophet in our time - Joseph Smith - to restore to earth basic, essential, yet previously misunderstood teachings about Jesus Christ necessary to achieve salvation.

6) My church teaches that anyone who desires to draw closer to God is invited to learn of the restored gospel truths of Jesus Christ by studying - along with the Bible - the Book of Mormon which was given specifically to clarify key doctrines about Christ's gospel.  Sincere study and prayer, coupled with the power of the Holy Ghost, can convince anyone of the truth of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

It's a start

No comments: