Saturday, January 12, 2008

We Have Barely Scratched the Surface

“The growth of the Church from its infancy to its present stature is phenomenal, and we have only scratched the surface.”
-Gordon B. Hinckley, “Opening Remarks,” Ensign, Nov 2005, 4

I feel like this statement is really important for all members of the church. I’m a convert, so my understanding of what the church really is has been based on an ideological perspective that may not often be as ingrained in the hearts of many lifelong members. There are certainly many lifelong members who believe strongly in the destiny of Christ’s church, who have a vision of the scope of this destiny, however I feel like there is something lacking in the hearts of the average member. I feel like I am lulled into inaction as well.

I want to talk right now about action. I think we are not quite doing enough, as church members. The key word is destiny.

President Hinckley has set forth a vision of the church’s destiny. He is certainly not the first. I think that we won’t reach that destiny until we make certain changes in our lives. Below I list what I feel like are the most important changes we can make. I base this list on what I have observed as a new member, as well as during my mission during which time I had the opportunity to serve in a few leadership roles. I admit that I include my own life in my observations.

1) Greater Obedience

There are basic precepts, commandments, principles that are taught frequently that we don’t obey well enough. This statement doesn’t seem extraordinary, but it describes something that’s a real problem. I’m not talking about abstract ‘greater obedience’ to receive abstract ‘blessings of heaven’. I’m talking about the fact that sometimes: we eat things that are unhealthy, we let inappropriate television have far too great a role in our lives, we don’t hold planned and significant family home evenings, we don’t study or pray like we need to, we don’t follow basic counsel of our leaders i.e.: making a list of talking points according to Elder Ballard’s instruction, we don’t respect the Sabbath day properly, etc.
I think it’s clear that there are simple principles that are easy to follow, but that are also so easy to ignore. The first thing we need to do a put forth just a little more effort and start doing some of these things with greater urgency.

2) More Sincere Prayer

Our savior, in his prayer to Heavenly Father (the Lord’s prayer), is very formal. He establishes a pattern. Prayer is serious business. Our Heavenly Father loves us, but we need to approach Him like He is… God. A certain amount of severe reverence is needed. It wouldn’t be wrong to ponder the topics of a prayer before giving it. I’m talking about secret prayer. I’m not suggesting any unified model of prayer, or condemning casual prayer universally, I’m just saying we need to put more effort into prayer. The key word is effort. We need to really think about God being on the receiving end, we need to feel gratitude and humility in our hearts, to try to feel, when we pray.

3) Studies and the Book of Mormon

Lots of people study. Many people study well. I think that most everyone could study more, but specifically, better. It wouldn’t be wrong to take notes while doing scripture study. These notes might only be impressions recorded in a journal. Simply reading scripture doesn’t provoke thought the way writing and reflecting and planning does. We need to ponder, read, pray, plan, write as we study.
Also, we need to read and apply the principles of the Book of Mormon more. The Book of Mormon represents the Lord’s covenant with this generation. It is the tool of the restoration of Christ’s gospel. It is the voice through which the Lord has chosen to teach His people the gospel in the latter days. This is why the D&C condemns (D&C 88:55-57) the church for not taking it seriously. We need to seriously learn what faith in Christ really means, and apply (implying writing, pondering, planning, etc. during studies) those principles in our lives.

4) Empathy, love, sympathy

I don’t feel like the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ endorse negative words or thoughts from one person towards another in any way. By negative I don’t mean righteous judgment, I refer to unrighteous dislike or cruelty. A person might speak out against the unrighteous actions of another, but they are not permitted to dislike that person.
Our Heavenly Father has shown us, through the example of His son, what manner of men we ought to be. We must strive diligently and unceasingly to think positively about others. We must learn to see the world from their point of view. We musn’t approve of incorrect actions, but we must share the burdens of grief or misunderstanding that cause others to act incorrectly. We must be able to say, “I’m sorry you feel the way you do, I don’t agree, I can’t support those decisions, but I’m here to give you a hug if you want one.”
When others are doing no wrong, we must not only be sensitive if they somehow offend us, we must change our hearts so that the action no longer offends.
Have you ever thought someone was ‘nerdy’? You must learn to love that person for their ‘nerdiness’ by finding the positive aspects of it.
This is very important! Cynicism and dislike are great evils. I partake in them often, but I still stand by my opinion that they are evil.
To move forward, we must open our hearts and our arms. There must be no tolerance for negativity. A smear on one of Heavenly Father’s children is a smear on Him. That is not acceptable!

I think that if these four principles were adopted by church members more fully, we would be able to see many more miracles. I have to think that we will draw closer to our destiny, but we have barely scratched the surface. I know the Lord moves mysteriously, and often tenderly, painfully slow maybe. I still think that this generation will need a spark, and I’m excited for the day when we are thirsting more for righteousness.

No comments: